Friday, December 09, 2011

The Songwriter & The Crooner

Oh yes, I like Jose Mari Chan. I grew up listening to his Constant Change album. I had a cassette tape of it that I repeatedly play in my stereo back then. I memorized the lyrics of all the songs. I was in grade school then, the era of Debbie Gibson, and JMC captured my fondness for love songs. Can’t We Start Over Again was my favorite.

Last December 2, JMC had a show with Richard Poon. After my beach trip, sound trip naman. I rushed to the PICC, excited to hear him sing live again after eons of waiting. The crowd was not my generation, well mostly. Majority were bejeweled ladies matronly dressed, hehehe.



Opening act was by Thor. I really don’t know him, I’m not even sure if I got his name right hahaha. He sang 2 songs, songs that were badly chosen. Nat King Cole and Lani Misalucha ba naman. 

the who?!


There were several empty seats at the start of the show, but were eventually filled up. Talk about Filipino time.



Danceable tunes were performed by the two artists as their opening number.



Then the stage was monopolized by Richard Poon.

Singing Christmas songs with the 3 ladies.


Singing wedding songs.

A surprise appearance from Pokwang and Mahal followed. Hahaha, it was funny. Pokwang and her “No Boyfriend, No Problem” song earned laughter from the audience. Believe me, I heard the song for the first time there.



Pokwang was up and around the venue, with her song.

JMC had the spotlight with the following songs: Constant Change, Tell Me Your Name, Can We Just Stop And Talk Awhile, and Refrain. 


We need more songwriters, we need more JMCs in the music industry. Look at his songs, still very pleasant to hear after all these years.

I finally heard Noelle Cassandra perform live. Such an angel, with her harp and voice! “Please Be Careful With My Heart” and “A Love To Last A Lifetime” became so heart warming with their duet.



Who could forget “Beautiful Girl”? It’s always Gretchen Barretto that comes to my mind whenever I hear the song. Speaking of Beautiful Girl, I spotted that night Kring-Kring Gonzales and Tin Bersola Babao.

Beautiful Girl was performed in two versions, in English by JMC and Chinese by Richard. Cute.

The show ended with JMC’s Christmas carols: Christmas in our Hearts and Perfect Christmas.

It was a lovely night, so romantic for couples.

Life is good! =)

P.S.

Let’s Face It was the major sponsor. Everyone got a loot bag, and other freebies.





Again, life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment