Thursday, August 30, 2012

Tacloban City


I exhausted so much time writing about my Tacloban trip. This is going to be the last post about it, promise, hahaha. I did enjoy touring the city, so much, that I want to share the sights and places. It’s no biggie, I must say, but my mantra have been: huwag maging dayuhan sa sariling bayan.

People's Center
 
I dropped by People’s Center along Real St., which is just beside the Santo Nino Shrine. It is a 2-storey building, the 2nd floor of which is a public library. I never got inside the library as it was closed. It was a Saturday, and the library is open to the public only during weekdays.


I don’t know if this is a permanent thing or just for the fiesta, but the ground floor has been turned into a bazaar.


Inside, other than the bazaar, you can find a huge stage, draped in heavy curtain. 



The library at the second floor:



I went to visit 2 churches, the Redemptorist Church and the Sto. Nino Church:

Redemptorist Church, along Real St.
Sto. Nino Church, also in Real St.

I walked along the Boulevard, where festivities were going on. I passed by the Legislative Building and City Hall:


 
 
The City Hall is sitting on top of Kanhuraw Hill. Within its compound, a lot of monuments were established. I found this one, but there were no inscriptions to describe its significance:



At the foot of the hill, the monument of Madonna Maria Kannon can be found. It is a symbol of friendship between Japan and Philippines after the World War II.

It stands on a rock, set in a well-manicured garden.

Madonna of Japan is also known as the Goddess of Peace.


On the other side of the hill, there stood the statue of the Crucified Christ: 



During this 4-day vacation, I stayed in the only hotel that was available that time. We went from one hotel to another, but they were fully booked. I sooo wanted to stay at Hotel Alejandro, and I was just perpetually waitlisted.


Hotel Alejandro in Paterno St.

 
I ended up staying here:

GV Hotel, Juan Luna St.

 
For only 800p/night, I was not impressed. There was only one socket. So I cannot watch TV while charging my phone, and vice versa. How inconvenient!


There were cockroaches! A lot! Wall, bed, floor, ceiling…they were everywhere! They even feasted on my grapes!

 
So not recommended. GV Hotel is EPIC FAIL.





2 comments:

  1. Golay Mayex,this is what you were talking about..lol..Now ko lang nakita ung ipis part..:)

    ReplyDelete