Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Resolution


One of my resolutions this year is to read at least 50 books. I’ve been having the same resolution for 4 years now, always unachieved, though 2 years ago, I got to read 32 books. I could have reached my goal, had I not been hooked on several TV series. Hence, reading was abandoned for awhile, and the year ended, short with 18 books to read.

In order to achieve my goal, I should be able to read 4 to 5 books a month. Or finish one book every week. It is not really tasking as I enjoy reading so much. Unfortunately though, the books I bought recently were too thick and with too small a font, making reading tedious =(

It’s April, and I am still on my 8th book. I still have a long, long way to go. I am currently reading The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks.



Here’s what I had read so far:

THE HUNGER GAMES TRILOGY (The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingjay) by Suzanne Collins, a young-adult adventure science fiction.

Every year the nation of “Panem” conduct the Hunger Games to commemorate the previous rebellion waged by the people from its 12 districts against the Capitol. It is a punishment, reminding the people that the Capitol is supreme. All children aged 12 to 18 from all districts are candidates for the games. They are selected by lottery, and subsequently compete in a televised battle in which only one person can survive.

Be entangled in the love triangle of Katniss, Peeta and Gale. The first 3 chapters of Book One made me cry. I can’t imagine people trading clothes for food =(

The books are hard to put down. A must for every bookworm. Watch the movie as well. 

(photo grabbed from Mendelson's Memos)

THE CARRIE DIARIES by Candace Bushnell.  A pre-quel to Sex and the City. Get to know Carrie before she became THE Carrie Bradshaw. Her high school days, working in the school paper, her first relationship and how she met Samantha… Fun book, fun read…perfect for teeny-boppers.

Incidentally, a TV series is on the works, with Anna Sophia Robb as the young Carrie. 

Anna Sophia Robb (photo grabbed from hufftingtonpost.com)

THE GAME OF THRONES and A CLASH OF KINGS by George R.R Martin. If you’ve seen the TV series, that’s terrific. But there were several scenes from the book that were not totally captured (the book will always be different from the movie). 

Khaleesi (photo grabbed from juliabuckley.blogspot.com)

I like the Stark children and their direwolves, most especially Jon Snow. I find King Joffrey really irritating. I enjoy the character of Tyrion. I am desperate to know the future of the Khaleesi and her dragons.

There are too many characters in the story. Good thing an appendix of the Kings and their Courts, and other Houses (great or small) are provided at the end of every book.

The Game of Thrones was recently concluded on HBO. The second season premiered on April 1. 

Books 3 to 5 are waiting to be read, still in its National Bookstore plastic bag.

MINI-SHOPAHOLIC by Sophie Kinsella, the 6th book of the Shopaholic series. This is a no-brainer book. Forgettable, yet fun. I’ve read the entire series, Becky Brandon nee Bloomwood (the main character) never changed. She’s still addicted to shopping.



42 more books to go! I have a feeling I can achieve my goal this year.

So, what book are you reading now?





 

1 comment:

  1. I wish I can find the time to read. Kainggit. I wanna start The Hunger Games. Kang has the set collecting dust in her room upstairs.

    ReplyDelete