Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Yes, Yes Shows!

I recently watched 2 stage plays and a stand up comedian (who made my jaw ached from too much laughing), with magic shows on the side.

I was able to catch Jekyll and Hyde on its last weekend show at OnStage, Greenbelt 1. I have read great reviews about it, especially from one of my favorite bloggers, Anton Diaz.


"An evocative tale of the epic battle between good and evil, Jekyll & Hyde is based on Robert Louis Stevenson's classic story about a brilliant doctor whose experiments with human personality create a murderous counterpart. Convinced the cure for his father's mental illness lies in the separation of Man's evil nature from his good, Dr. Henry Jekyll unwittingly unleashes his own dark side, wreaking havoc in the streets of late 19th century London as the savage, maniacal Edward Hyde."

Jett Pangan, as the lead star, was surprisingly good. I've only seen him perform as lead vocalist of his band, The Dawn, singing Envelope Ideas and Salamat. Seeing him act/sing in a play is a whole different story. His voice was powerful, truly appropriate for the part. His rendition of "This Is The Moment" was just perfect. I was really moved.


On the 26th of April, I laughed out lout with Rex Navarrete. The Newport Performing Arts Theater in Resorts World was packed. I spotted several celebrities like TJ Manotoc and Brent Javier.




"For years, Rex Navarrete has top billed sold-out performances in the States, all over Asia and Australia. He is a premiere Filipino-American stand-up comedian who has been sharing his gift of gab since 1989. "


The show was delayed for over an hour.  Perfect for late comers, disappointing for early birds like me. 


There were two front acts: a magic show from Eric Mana (I was impressed!) and hilarious act from stand-up comedian, Mike Unson (his Twitter and Facebook jokes were really funny).


Rex Navarrete is a real pro. He mimicked Manny Pacquiao and his famous "samtimes wen we tats, the honesty's too mats...".


He joked about Pinoys who grew up in the States and came to the Philippines to meet the relatives for the very first time, who eventually will get shock upon finding out how huuuuuge the family is.


Wearing my Traveling Dress for the 11th time.
Lastly, Care Divas at Onstage last 29 April, presented by Philippine Educational Theater Association (PETA) and Repertory Philippines. I must say this was the funniest stage play I've ever seen!



"Care Divas follows the life of Chelsea, Shai, Kayla, Thalia and Jonee, five Overseas Filipino Workers, who each have to make ends meet in another country while struggling to search for freedom and acceptance."
 
My favorite among the characters is Thalia, with her unforgettable introduction: "I believe that virginity is important. Therefore, I am not important."
 
These transvestites are caregivers by day and transform to divas at night. Their production  and song numbers were fantabulous and funny, matched with colorful costumes. I was lost in translation when they started speaking in gay lingo!

I just love gay people. They never fail to brighten my day.
 
At the end of the show, they took some time to have their pictures taken with the audience, for free.
They wore white ensemble for the last act.
This is Shai.
It was an eventful April for me. It's already May, my birth month... I wonder what's in store for me....

Enjoy the rest of the week! 


Wearing my Traveling Dress for the 12th time.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment